Resume writing strategies
I wish the initial screening process were more fair. But with the sheer volume and plagiarism going around, it surely is not, so deal with it. Here's how I manage my plans:
- Treat the initial stage like a gaming process. Put just enough details so they are intrigued and pick up the phone to call you.
- It is not a kitchen sink of all you have ever done. No one cares, not even your Mom, seriously.
- Plan the writing knowing that the recruiter will decide in under 15-seconds glance at your resume if they want to move forward with your profile or now. Read on and you'ed see how I target resume writing.
Tips to make your resume appealing
- Evaluate of you resume passes this 30-second resume review rule https://www.forbes.com/sites/allbusiness/2016/11/19/the-30-second-resume-5-tips-to-get-noticed.
- Highlight quantitative achievements, any unique works, patents done. In the introduction talk to a industry problem, a visionary perspective and how your work is tailored to solve that. Oh I forgot to mention do all this upfront, first paragraph of the resume
- Be generous with white space, it helps highlight specific sections well. Remember #1 above? Fitting a resume in two pages does not mean you alter the page layout, reduce the header space
- Lastly, give your work a forward-looking value benefits slant versus things you have done verbatim. Make the resume stimulating for the recruiter, hiring manager. You should visualize them with a smile on their faces when they read your resume.
I can help you!
- Send me 2-3-job requisitions that you are targeting now. Perhaps one for a role you'd target in the next 2-3 years. I'll review the market trends, expectations, and any gaps I see. That will help set the stage for #2 below.
- One 90-min zoom interview call: We discuss the type of work you've done, accolades, and tangible details. It's a little like a therapy session, we go into what you liked and did not like about the past roles, proud moments etc.
- I am not a fan of fluffy cliche meaningless words. I focus on verbs that showcase outcomes, measurable impact on the business. I'll scoop those details from you if and when we talk.
- 3-hours to create the first draft in a template with my creativity.
- 30-mins feedback session. If we need any further edits, those will be complementary.